The Institution of Engineers (India) [IEI] is the premier professional body of engineers established in 1920 and incorporated by Royal Charter in 1935 to promote and advance the art, science and practice of engineering and technology. It is the largest multidisciplinary body of engineers encompassing 15 (fifteen) engineering disciplines with a membership of more than 8.2 lakhs serving the nation for more than 9 decades. Civil Engineering department has started students’ chapter of Institution of Engineers (India) on 22nd May 2017. There are 52 members of this chapter. Mr. Raju Narwade is coordinator of this chapter from this department. We organize one day workshop, expert talks, seminar and other activities under this student chapter.
Information of some of the events conducted by Civil Engineering Department under this chapter is as follows
- Inauguration of student Chapter: Inauguration of Student Chapters by Mr. S. P. Singh, Secretary of Institute of Engineers along with Prof. P. N. Tondon, Principal, Bharti Vidyapeeth Institute of Technology (Polytechnic) (Ex-Secretary). The function inauguration of student Chapter was held on 9th September, 2017.
- Workshop on Software and Tools for Civil Engineers: One Day Workshop on "Software and Tools for Civil Engineers" by Mr. Vivek Tatkeria on 15th October, 2017. Workshop was organized for Third Year and Final Year students
- Workshop on Primavera: Students learned about application of Primavera software for small projects and to understand the basic knowledge of primavera in to real time construction projects. Mr. D’souza has given training on Primavera software to students. Training program was held on 24th March, 2018.
- Expert Lecture on Application of GIS, GPS and Remote Sensing in Surveying: The lecture covered the basics of GIS, GPS and Remote Sensing required in Surveying. It gave the knowledge of actual applications that can be made. It will help students to use for their final year project as well as for higher studies. The knowledge shared has also given an exposure of outside world to the students. Prof. Karthik Nagarajan delivered lecture in this.
- Two Day National Workshop on Real-time Applications of Geotechnical Engineering and Transportation Engineering: Geotechnical Engineering and Transportation Engineering are non-separable parts of civil engineering. Geotechnical engineering inputs are required during planning, design and implementation to ensure economical and safe designs of structures whereas, Transportation engineering involves planning, design, construction, functioning and maintenance of amenities for providing safe, efficient and economical movement of people and goods. The main objective of the workshop was to explore and discuss the emerging challenges in both of the fields.