Remedial programs are designed to close the gap between what a student knows and what he’s expected to know. Teachers help pupils to develop good learning habits and attitudes, such as complete the assignments tidily, keep their promises and be responsible and disciplined.
The objectives of the remedial and tutorial committee are as follows:
- To motivate and help the academically weaker students to realize their weakness and help them to improve on their fronts.
- To enhance the academic skills of the students in various subjects.
- To raise their level of comprehension of basic subjects to provide a deep understanding for further academic work.
- To Strengthen their knowledge and skills in such subjects
In Pillai HOC College of Engineering and Technology, slow learners and underachievers are identified during regular lectures. Remedial classes are organized on Saturdays’ to meet the need of the weaker students. The Head and the Class – Coordinators of the department keeps a record of the academically poor students. The Principal regularly interacts with the parents.
After completion of each unit (per subject) last hour of the weekly allotted hours per subject is scheduled to be the remedial classes (if required). Answer scripts of the weekly test are discussed one to one with the students outside the usual class hours.
The subject faculty supervises students’ understanding and knowledge of the subject in the remedial class. Faculty divides the weaker students into groups and distribute the prepared study material and try to understand their problem areas. Special attention is paid to slow learners. Assignments are given to the students for more practice.
The process of mentoring is initiated as soon as the newly admitted students settle a bit. The Head of the Department allocates mentor for the respective semester. An interactive meeting is organized between Principal, Head of the Department and Mentor to discuss the students counselling process, issue, and streamline the objective as far as possible. The mentors then chart out their course of action. A Comprehensive timetable is prepared for their remedial classes.
Our practises of remedial classes
- Students needing remedial classes are identified from each class.
- The teacher looks into the academic, motivational and social adaptation pattern of the student.
- If needed, performer students are placed in the group of the weaker students to help them
- Record of progress and attendance is strictly maintained by the concerned Class-coordinators and mentor.
- Study workshop and Experts talk is organized for the students by the respective departments to polish and enhance the understanding of the students on the subject.